Archive for February, 2019

Getting data and images out of Apex

February 25, 2019

Another short video showing some progress on Apex.  Here one can see the workflow for defining a cylinder through the dataset, seeing the concentration profile inside the cylinder, and copying the data from the concentration profile into excel.  Also, it shows copying the mass spectrum data into excel — note how the mass range matches the selected range of the window — and also copying the mass spectrum image, demonstrating how it works seamlessly with an image editor like Acorn.

As always, please contact me if you are interested in Apex.

Getting the mass spectrum working

February 18, 2019

The mass spectrum is rendering nicely now.   Here’s a video which shows the state of work:  

When no ions are selected, the mass spectrum shows the spectrum for all ions in the sample.  When some ions are selected, it shows a spectrum for just the ions that are selected,  The units on the x axis are AMU, and the units on the y axis are the fraction of ions that appear in a given histogram bin, divided by the bin width.  This means the area under the curve should equal 1.

As always, let me know if you are interested in Apex.

Reviving Apex

February 13, 2019

So, I’ve been working on getting Apex up and running once again.  It is a significant project.  

The original Apex was written in C++, and I had started work moving it to ObjectiveC quite a while ago, in order to take advantage of new Apple technologies.   It took longer than I expected, and meanwhile MacOS has moved ahead making a number of changes.  Mort significantly, OpenGL support has not been the best, and with Mojave (MacOS 10.14), Open GL is deprecated.  This prompted a decision to switch to Metal as the rendering engine.

The past few weeks I’ve gotten the Metal rendering working and hooked up, and finally there is something to show for the efforts:

 

 

As always, let me know if you are interested in Apex.